Your Ad Here

Monday, January 08, 2007

Here there everywhere a Starbucks


First off I need to say I don’t like coffee so I am probably a little insensitive to peoples java fixes but I did have a mountain dew addiction for about 15 years that I finally kicked but now seem to have replaced with an energy drink one, but I am working on that one too. However I just can't help but notice how Starbucks seems to be taking over the world. Everywhere I go there they are, and in many occasions they open up right across the street from a private neighborhood coffee shop that has been there for years even decades and mostly during a time when the area was not so cool or trendy. Kensington and North Park in San Diego are two examples I can point to. Within a half mile radius of my north park neighborhood there are now five Starbucks stores and if you move it up to a mile radius you easily get to 10. There is one at the end of my street, a new one at the top of my street and even a smaller one in my grocery store. But to top it all off they now have one in Newry Northern Ireland. I must say I was quite surprised when I saw it last week, I thought OMG here now also. I guess I should not complain about that one as it says a lot about how my home has changed and I suppose Starbucks could be unfortunately associated as an indication of a neighborhood that is becoming upwardly mobile, but coming from an area where there is clear saturation it was hard to keep it all in perspective. I am not against Starbucks but what really bothers me about their business model is the audacity they show when setting up shop next to well established establishments. There is no shame in their game and they know it. I suppose if I liked coffee I would feel different and as a friend said to me once "if I want a real good cup of coffee I go to Starbucks" I don't know if that is true but people sure seem addicted to their products. Give me a kordova milk bar any day.

No comments: