Your Ad Here

Friday, March 16, 2007

To-the-Left Guest Blogger Alert!!!


In reply to your comments on the previous blog, I felt compelled to guest-blog some food-for-thought. I am neither 'White, Rich, or Elitist' - and I still thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the programming on NPR. To clarify, I am only speaking about National Public RADIO - not PBS television as I don't have TV.

Firstly, allow me to point out that they do not, as you insinuate, just cover 'opera and foreign films'. There are a variety of programs - again - not 24/7 bashing of right-wing conservatives - on the air: such as "Fresh Air" (a SPLENDID program), "Day to Day", "Talk of the Nation" and "World Cafe" (which covers music from all over the world.) Why just last week I sat in my car and CRIED hearing an interview with African-American bass singer who is releasing a CD of old slavery Spirituals. I am not black, I don't have slavery in my family history - but I can appreciate the pain and beauty and HOPE that resonated in his gorgeous, rich singing voice and eloquent answers to interviewer, Terry Gross. And just today they did a fine segment on Irish music and country music - neither of which I am too familiar with, but found enlightening. So, no: it's not just about a bunch of white-haired old people shoving opera down our throats.

I've also been engrossed by interviews with novelists, fine film makers and actors. I am not talking about Lindsay Lohan and the "American Pie" director-types. But award-winning and thought-provoking artists. It is fascinating and a wonderful learning tool to hear the thought-process of these artists talk about their crafts.

Or what about the perhaps life-changing findings heard on the "Health and Science" program. This week I sent a link to my sister who has an Autistic child about the ground-breaking findings of geneticist, Jonathon Sabat, that suggest that what triggers autism occurs long before birth.

I think one of the things I like best about NPR is the calm and eloquent presentation of their views in all their programming. I've watched Fox News and everyone is so irate and angry and pious all the time - even talking over the opposing-view guests to the point where everyone looks like fools and I've even seen you laugh, enjoying it! Passion is a good thing but when it turns to self-righteous anger and deliberate humiliation of the opposing view it really turns me off...

One last thing before the lions den opens up on me for publishing this: I am not even a complete liberal. In fact, I am registered as an Independent. I think that extremists on either side is unhealthy. But my point is that NPR is not simply a group of old, white, hippies. There is a lot to be learned about, just as I have the open-mind to sit through some FOX programs.

And if you are concerned about your tax dollars going to it, then might I suggest getting your bucks' worth and trying to listen to some of the programming - if not the News segments. I know for a fact, that you would find interesting the segments aired this week on your native Ireland (in lieu of St. Patty's Day). Give it a try before you denounce it.

So...Is that 'relevant' enough to be published?? :)

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Good post BUT!! I have no doubt that there is programming of interest to a lot of people; I have watched many a program. Again, what for the most part has their programming got to do with poor people? The programs you speak of are almost for an exclusively educated class of people and Europhiles. Not the people who REALLY do without and who opportunity in this life has not come their way, and are not living modestly by choice. I ask the question again why do those topics deserve public funding while others don't??

Elsa Martinez said...

I really must disagree that I have heard amazing programs and short stories and topics not only from around the world's disadvantaged people but also about AMERICANS who have suffered, compromised and given up much in order to just survive. And, they SHOULD be heard. In this day of apathy, laziness and sense of self-entitlement that reigns in the USA (especially within our youth), these educational programs DESERVE to be funded in order to be heard. The sad point is that it's probably mostly older, white, or europhiles like me who mostly listen to NPR because most of America is too busy pluggd into their Ipods.

Anonymous said...

Radio Telefís Éireann is a Public Service Broadcaster, a non-profit making organisation owned by the Irish people.

Patrick said...

Yes and the point is?? They are even worse. You are charged a TV license just for owning a TV, even if you have no intention of watching TV( maybe to only watch some DVD's). Just owning one means you must pay a hefty yearly fee. They actually have people that go around and look for owners of TV's who don't have a license. I suppose they are more open about it than here. State sponsored TV...now who supports that???