Your Ad Here

Friday, December 22, 2006

A CLASH of worlds


Every so often a random observation triggers a distant memory and then cascades to others. Last night I watched a DVD I had not seen in quite a few years about The Undertones. A relatively local band from where I grew up in Ireland who became very popular locally although not so much in America, with their kind of pop punk which was surprising due to where they came from. An embattled catholic ghetto called the bog side in Derry. They were the first real band that I had ever seen in my life at the age of 11. I recounted to Elsa that at that period of the punk era that instead of clapping the audience would spit or gobbing. Yes it is as nasty as it sounds and would be completely unacceptable in this day and age. Even then bands were not pleased about it and eventually got sick of it and would stop playing until it stopped. Of course it eventually phased out. So coming into work this morning and I guess with last nights thoughts in my subconscious I ended up doing a search for The Clash playing at the Ulster hall in 1984 ( they were another pivotal moment in my live music experience). Being still quite young and not used to the big city especially Belfast which was and still is a VERY segregated city where one would always have to watch what area they were in and even more so if dressed different than the norms. "Spider men" or drunks looking for any reason to thump people roamed the streets after closing time (which is mostly 11pm in Ireland) and of course were especially fond of young punks. I remember walking up to the concert hall seeing rows of armored police vehicles all over the place and literally 100’s of punks and skins lining the side walk drinking cider if they could
afford a bottle and for those that could not would more likely be sniffing glue.

When I finally walked into the hall a local punk band “The Defects” were playing their set. A very popular band indeed as I watched in awe as 1000’s of skins and punks were bunched up in one big ball that covered 60% of the floor jumping up and down as one shaking the whole hall (well it seemed like it) I have since been to many many concerts and I can say I have never seen anything as impressive since. One collective unit operating in unison, BOOM BOOM BOOM as they hit the floor, I will never forget that. To protect the band a 6ft fence was built around the stage. The spitting had almost stopped at that time but the odd one would fly every now and then and I suppose a few hit the main man Joe Strummer. He stopped playing and came down to confront the guy who was doing it. As he go in his face across the fence the guy just jumped up and down and continued to spit right in his face. Words were exchanged and Joe wiped off and got back to playing. London Calling was the first song, and I remember exactly how it felt……

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

some good memories of great music. Keep it up, man