Your Ad Here

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Is there a Santa Claus?


Early Christmas day sitting in San Diego Airport with my daughter Ciara and a half hour before our flight to Ireland, we decided to have McDonalds (I know, I like their breakfasts and its still better than airplane food). While eating I inquired what she got for Christmas. Among the extensive list it seemed was a roll out piano key board from sharper image (she is 8), anyway I asked who got that for you and she replied with hand quotes in the air and a knowing look and a smirk “Santa Clause” then she went on to say she recognized her moms writing and when she brought it to her attention her mom replied that Santa had asked her to write it. But Ciara was not fooled. Now this is not the first time she has brought the validity of Santa up. A few weeks ago she asked me a very serious question and a wanted a very serious answer back. Her question was as I am sure you could guess, “daddy is there really a Santa Claus and do you and mom just buy the presents because some guy in class said bla bla bla?” I could just see the scenario of some kid being told by their parents it was all bullshit and he could not wait to spread the good news. I suppose that is how most of us found out or at least began to question the whole thing. But honestly I think I was still a believer at the age of eight. Could the magic not last a few more years? I suppose we all just play along because it does, even as an adult give us a feeling of something magical and a reason to give. But I am sure for some it can mean the beginning of a very depressing season. So my response to her was Ciara if you think its real then it is real and I chose to believe with her

1 comment:

Elsa Martinez said...

she's a smart cookie, that one. But you gave a GREAT answer and I am proud of you for thinking it up on the fly! by the way, it's spelled Santa Claus. Although I suppose has some 'clause' in there somewhere....:)